School of Psychiatry, UNSW
- Opportunity to engage and build world class research program in Perinatal and Women’s Mental Health
- Independent leadership position
- Part time (24.5 - 31.5 hrs/week depending on level of appointment), Fixed term for 5 years
- opportunity to generate private clinician income working at the SJOG-HC Mother-Baby Unit at Burwood for the remaining hours of the week
- based across Burwood and Kensington, Sydney
UNSW Medicine is a national leader in learning, teaching and research, with close affiliations to a number of Sydney’s finest teaching hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations including the St John of God Health Care (SJOG-HC) facilities. St John of God Health Care is a leading Catholic health care provider with services in WA, NSW, & Victoria and two psychiatric hospitals in NSW (Burwood and Richmond). In NSW, SJOG-HC has focussed extensively on the provision of Perinatal & Infant MH services with its 12 specialist private mother baby beds at the Burwood Mother Baby Unit (MBU), and the at Blacktown Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Service (Raphael service).
The St John of God Perinatal and Women’s Mental Health Unit has conducted both clinical and population level studies. Clinical studies based at the MBU have focussed on maternal sensitivity, mother-infant interaction, and on the impact of personality vulnerability on adaptation to parenthood. Studies based at a large maternity hospital have underpinned some of the NSW and national perinatal mental health guidelines as part of the units program of translation of clinical research to policy and practice.
The School of Psychiatry is seeking to appoint an outstanding academic to conduct high impact research and provide strong academic leadership to extend the program of both clinical and translational research as well as provide clinical academic leadership to the Mother-Baby Unit. The Associate Professor/Professor will be expected to contribute to the teaching activities of the School of Psychiatry, and be responsible for overseeing and contributing to the teaching program for undergraduate medical students at SJOG Hospital Burwood.
The position will be based across UNSW in Kensington and the Burwood St John of God Hospital.
To be successful in the position you will have:
- PhD, MD or other equivalent research qualification in a field relevant to Perinatal and Women’s mental health research;
- An appropriate medical qualification registerable or potentially registerable in Australia and accreditation as a psychiatrist with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists OR registered or potentially registerable in Australia to work as a Clinical Psychologist
- An emerging track record of research publications in peer- reviewed, well ranked national and international journals.
- An emerging national research track record as evidenced by successful collaborations and competitive research grants.
- A record of excellent achievement in teaching and supervision at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including higher degree research students.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with excellence in building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external) at all times
- A track record of success in incorporating research outcomes into translational programs
Level E (in addition to the above):
- A track record of successful leadership in research capacity building within the area of Psychiatry or Clinical Psychology.
- Demonstrated leadership in facilitating effective and collaborative multidisciplinary research across multiple organisations.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Kimberlie Dean, Head of School, Psychiatry, UNSW
Marie-Paule Austin, St John of God Chair Perinatal & Women’s Mental Health, UNSW
E: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Applications close: 10th April 2021