Aboriginal Hostels Limited’s (AHL) purpose is to provide safe, comfortable, culturally appropriate and affordable short-term accommodation for Indigenous Australians who need to be away from home to access medical services, education and economic opportunities.
A career with AHL will provide you with a chance to contribute to improving the quality of life and economic opportunity for Indigenous Australians. We offer rewarding experiences and rewarding employment conditions.
Our Secondary Education Hostels are dedicated to providing a Home Away from Home for young indigenous Australians (aged 12-18 years) who are accepted into partner schools (grades 7 - 12). Our commitment in our student hostels is to ensure that we provide:
• A Home Away from Home experience where students have ongoing access to educational, emotional, social, economic and cultural development;
• A fair, honest and culturally respectful environment that values each student and their connection to country;
• The highest level of care and protection;
• Nutritious meals;
• Extra-curricular activities; and travel to and from school each day.
The key duties of the position include:
AHL is seeking highly motivated Residential Youth Workers to support Indigenous students in a home away from home environment. As a Residential Youth Worker you will be a mentor for our Indigenous students and will provide support and care in a residential setting. This includes building a rapport with students, focusing on positive behaviors, providing tutoring and support for homework, building on the students’ social and life skills and ensuring a safe environment in the hostel. You will also carry out routine tasks such as driving students to school, appointments and activities, as well as carrying out occasional domestic duties such as cooking and cleaning. Other duties will include:
• Customer Services
• Hostel Operations
• Student Services
• Professional Services and Community engagement
• Work, Health and Safety
What we offer
Salary - $59,322 – $62,951 plus 15.4% superannuation. Generous salary packaging arrangements of up to $15,900 per FBT year for mortgage, rent or living expenses.
Leave - In addition to 4 weeks of annual leave, secondary education hostels enter close-down during the prescribed school term breaks as per the provisions in the AHL Enterprise Agreement. This generally means an extra 6-8 weeks of paid leave per year, noting that staff may be recalled for 2 weeks each year
For more information about the role and how to apply, go to: https://ahl.gov.au/employment
You will require:
• Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care, or a willingness to commence studies
• Current Senior First Aid Certificate or willingness to obtain one
• Current Driver’s Licence
• Current Bus Licence for light-rigid vehicles (up to 25 seats) or willingness to obtain one.
• Mental Health First Aid Certificate
• Bronze Medallion (for hostels with swimming pools or regular water activities)
Requirements for the role:
• be an Australian citizen,
• hold (and maintain) a Working with Children Check in the relevant state,
• undergo a satisfactory National Criminal History Check, and
• meet fitness for duty requirements.
This is an Identified Position and Indigenous Peoples are encouraged to apply, as are non-Indigenous jobseekers with a commitment to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.